- Download this PDF handout we created of basic relief printing and sewing techniques: OBI_The_Quilted_Print.pdf
- This document covers printing tips for relief and screen on fabric, hemming, seams, types of appliqué sewing, and a bit about stuffing fabric prints to make 3D objects or sculptural reliefs. There is a guide to essential tools as well as trouble-shooting sections.
- Process Videos: http://orangebarrelindustries.com/videos/
- Drawing with Charcoal & Gesso and Carving: http://orangebarrelindustries.com/videos/UNI_block.m4v
- Printing Process: http://orangebarrelindustries.com/videos/Printing_Process_Updated.m4v
- Installing Work at University of St. Mary in Leavenworth, KS: SplitEndsInstallationUniversityStMaryLeavenworthKSOctober2016.mov
- Fun with Plarn (AKA Plastic Yarn, AKA plastic bags turned into crochet fodder): http://orangebarrelindustries.com/videos/Gargantua%20Movie.mov
- Hand Embroidery: http://www.urbanthreads.com/tutorials.aspx?t=basic+hand+embroidery+stitches
- Hand Embroidery: http://www.molliemakes.com/craft-2/library-embroidery-stitches/
- Free-Hand Machine Embroidery: https://www.craftsy.com/embroidery/article/how-to-free-motion-embroider/
Troubleshooting (there is more in our PDF handout near the top of this page
- Did you thread the machine correctly?
- Did you wind the bobbin correctly and check that it is installed correctly?
- Adjust stitch length and tension according to fabric and thread you are using. Use a test scrap of fabric and make adjustments tighter and looser until it is sewing well without puckering fabric (too tight) or stitches falling out (too loose).
- Most machines have single top tension adjustment, but some machines have an additional tension adjustment for bobbin thread.
- If all else is correct and machine is skipping stitches, try a fresh needle. The old one may be dull.
- Periodically, the bobbin and bobbin casing should be removed. Use a small paint brush to dust out lint, and a drop of sewing machine oil in the proper spot (varies by machine) will help it to keep running smoothly.